It’s a cold winter’s night. As I sit here in my plush cozy robe cuddled by the warm snuggly fireplace, I suddenly crave something….chocolatey. Trying to stay off dark chocolate for at least a week (good luck), I decided tonight I will make my favorite slightly healthier treat. HOT COCOA! And whats hotter than a tall dark and toasty drink by the fire? A tall dark toasty cocoa drink with super powers of course! By super powers I mean superfoods 🙂 But fear not people: this hot cocoa is very versatile, meaning you don’t need to fancy it up with the super stuff unless you happen to have some and are in the mood for something different. It’s still cocoa under all that jazz. So go light up your fire place, or turn on your space heater and drink up.
What you will need:
- 2 cups of almond milk (or sub any milk of choice)
- 2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar (or raw honey, maple, agave, etc..)
Superfood stuff (optional):
- 1-2 tsp maca powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla (or scraped vanilla bean)
- 1 tsp lucuma powder
- pinch of ginger
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of cayenne (for added spice)
- dash of sea salt
- 1 tsp unrefined coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp soaked chia seeds (if using chia then be sure to blend prior to heating)
Heat milk in saucepan over medium heat. Be careful not to boil milk, the result will not be fun… Remove from heat and whisk in cacao and coconut sugar, along with desired ingredients. Feel free to toss in a blender for some added foam.